This was a toned-ground exercise from my acrylics starter kit. It was a bit of a disaster—mainly because I ran out of white and mixed most of the colours way too dark, but also because I got discouraged, started experimenting, and made a bit of mess of it. Again, I learnt a lot, though, and I did enjoy creating the toned-ground effect.
I also did a reasonable quick sketch from the photo before I attempted the painting:
This is my attempt at the value (tone) exercise in the acrylics starter kit I bought. There’s lots wrong with it, not least of which is the capsicum that looks like the French flag, but I’m stoked I finished it. And I learnt a lot doing it!